Skip to main content
You are not a member of this wiki.
Send me an email
- About Me
1st and 2nd Block 3rd Quarter
1st and 2nd Block 4th Quarter
4th Block 3rd Quarter
4th block 4th Quarter
Add "All Pages"
Hopewell High School
Mrs. Cathi Whaples
Tutoring!!! I tutor on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30-3:15.
Our economy's increasing dependence on technology has created a world of opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) professions. The U.S. Department of Commerce reports that the growth rate of STEM jobs has been triple the growth rate of non-STEM jobs in the past decade. By 2018, more than 1.2 million STEM-related jobs will be available in the United States.*
STEM professionals are also typically compensated with higher salaries than their non-STEM peers. According to the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, salaries for STEM occupations averaged $34,420
than salaries for non-STEM occupations.**
Beyond the career and salary benefits of studying STEM, math helps students learn to critically analyze and solve problems using a variety of strategies. Being able to approach problems from multiple perspectives and to persevere when faced with complexity and challenges will serve students well, regardless of their professional aspirations.
Further reasons to study math include
1) To acquire the skills necessary to conduct inquiry and research
2) To explore concepts, ideas, and issues that have local and global significance
3) To exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically and creatively to recognize and approach complex problems
4) To approach unfamiliar situations and uncertainty with courage and forethought
5) To appreciate the international dimension of mathematics and its multicultural and historical perspectives
6) To develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to pursue further studies
7) To provide the freedom of choice when determining one's future
8) To enhance the communication of knowledge and ideas in a clear and intelligent manner backed up by proof and substantiated with laws
9) To determine how theory affects reality
10) To decide if something is what it appears to be
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"